**Please note, at this, I am not accepting any new clients. Feel free to call (919) 647-4600 Ext. 0 to be linked with another provider**
Contact: (919) 647-4600 EXT 701
HELLO, I am Dr. Meghan Walter
I am originally from Texas, but have lived in many different places in the U.S. and Europe. I now live in Cary with my husband, Christian, who is a native of Germany. We are grateful to live in this beautiful area with amazing people and so much opportunity. We have three children in various stages of emerging adulthood, as well as an awesome new son-in-law who joined our family last year. In my free time I love to read, spend time with my family, and find new ways to enjoy exercise and fitness.
I have worked with children, adolescents, and their parents/caregivers as a professional counselor, parent coach, and consultant in outpatient and educational settings. I have experience in training early childhood caregivers and working closely with parents and guardians to help them to support their children’s academic and personal/social development. I am also a Clinical Assistant Professor of Counselor Education at the University of North Carolina, where I teach a variety of graduate level counseling and clinical fieldwork courses. My education and credentials include:
- B.S. in psychology from the University of Maryland; M.Ed. in Counseling from Boston University; Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from the University of Central Florida
- National Board Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate
- Licensed School Counselor (K-12)
- Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE).
Parents and Families: When working with parents and families, I strive to form a collaborative relationship with parents while recognizing the parents as the expert on their child and family. I approach working with parents from a strengths-based and solution-focused approach. My goal is to help parents identify and achieve their parenting goals while introducing research-based strategies to enhance the parent-child relationship.
Children and Adolescents: I work with all clients from a strengths-based perspective as opposed to a deficit focus. I strive to help clients re-discover and build on their own individual resiliency and assets in their environments. Some issues I help children and adolescents with include:
- anxiety and depression
- behavioral concerns
- friendship, peer, and social skills
- school and family transitions
- sexual and gender identity
- self esteem
When providing counseling to young children, I recognize that the cognitive and verbal abilities necessary to participate effectively in traditional talk therapy are still developing. Children at this stage express themselves and communicate about their feelings and inner worlds through activity and play. Even older children and adolescents often prefer alternative methods of self-expression. Therefore, I integrate child-centered as well as more directive play and expressive arts-based approaches when counseling young people. Additionally, I see parents and educators as key allies in children’s healing processes, so I collaborate with parents and educators in determining ways they can support their child’s growth and development at home and school.
Much of the beauty of families lies in their diversity. I will do my best to provide a safe and comfortable environment for all clients regardless of family constellation, race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical ability, or religious/spiritual beliefs.
- BCBS (Out-of-Network for Blue-Local Plans for Duke & WakeMed)
- Out-of-Network Insurance: I can provide a “Super Bill” or an Invoice for client to submit to their insurance for reimbursement. Client is responsible for verifying out-of-network benefits with their insurance plan.
Or let a third party like 'Better' handle your out-of-network claims. Better is an app for filing out-of-network health insurance claims. Send Better a photo of your claim and they will handle the rest, including determining your eligibility and following-up with your health insurance company. Download the Better iPhone app or signing up online.
Private pay, fee schedule is as following:
Initial Assessment/Consultation - $150
45 minute session - $90 (individual session), $90 (couple/family session)
45-60 minutes - $30 additional fee
* There will be $50 no-show/late cancellation fee for missed appointment on weekdays & $90 no-show/late cancellation fee for weekend appointment unless cancel appointment 24 hours in advance.
- Out-of-network benefits: Meghan can provide a 'Super Bill' for client to submit to their insurance for reimbursement (client is responsible for verifying out-of-network benefits with their insurance plan).