- As a parent with a child suffering from ADD or ADHD, what measures do you apply in teaching and nurturing that child?
- What sort of skills do you use in the upbringing of that special child which gives you much concern at every minute of the day?
Indeed, raising ADD/ADHD children can be tiresome and time-consuming, but as a true parent with compassion; the joy and positive outcome are all that always matters.
However, it will be unwise to elaborate on ADD/ADHD without even knowing the full meaning of the acronym, which is tagged: Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) & Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Symptoms of hyperactivity, impulsive and inactive attitude commonly noticeable in children, and it should be known that some grown up fall victim of this same pestering disease.
In accordance with this development, I will like to share more light on parenting styles in the raising of children living with ADD/ADHD.
There are four major types of parenting techniques:
Democratic / Uninvolved Parenting
In all honesty, the mode of parenting a child without ADD/ADHD symptoms is quite different from an ADHD child. In fact, the gap between the two is very huge. Most children respond well to an Authoritarian Parenting style because it has a good balance between structure & nurturing strategies.
Let's take for example; Frank is your son who suffers from ADHD. You are tired and calls at him several times to get you the TV remote but get no response in return. What will you do to him? Some parents might jump to yelling or screaming because it inferiorities them to think the child is ignoring them or being disrespectful. However, those who adapt to an authoritarian parenting, may choose to have a discussion with the child to understand the problem without harsh punishment but may find some other appropriate consequences or a plan to resolve the problem.
Truth be told, Frank (suffering from ADHD) might not have heard any words you uttered because his mind might be far away even though he is with you or looking straight at you. He is not trying to be disrespectful, but his brain simply functions differently.
Apparently, bridging the gap between a parent and an ADHD child has to deal with commitment, communication, and understanding.
In connection with the above topic, tips on the procedure for teaching, training or parenting a child suffering from ADD/ADHD are listed below as follows:
- Learn to share your thoughts and at the same time listen to him or her.
- Be realistic and considerate in your demands or expectations from them.
- Initiate awards, a little push and punishment in some cases in order to help boost their academics and social life.
- Be resilient and patient while dealing with him or her as an argument will yield no positive result.
- Do not get totally involved in solving their worries or home work. It infuriates them. If you must keep an eye on them, staying close by limiting yourself with other chores as you keep tab will suffice.
- Visually display their chores or daily pressure free routines so as to keep them organized and away from distraction.
- Be democratic, polite and calm when interacting with him or her over broken rules. It will help the child see reasons and take caution.
- Children will always be rebellious at some point in life. Allow him or her question authority and set boundaries to how far they can go. This will help in their social expression and reasoning before taking action.
- Learn to motivate, encourage and teach when necessary in their academic pursuit.
- Lay much emphasis on your child's creativity and potential. Help her explore that angle by supporting her.
- Always know that it is not easy and as such you are not a failure at parenting as you continue to help him or her rise to stardom.
- Always create time to celebrate you as a parent as well as have a family outing to help ease the tension.
- Do not relent in research and studying about ADD/ADHD. Find time to attend seminars or connect with people who have similar situations and learn more about how others manage the situation.
- Look out for distress signs and never fail to contact a therapist.
In addition to the above tips on parenting ADD/ADHD children, there are no basic or constant rules. The fact is, it goes beyond just communicating or trying to understand your child, it is imperative that you also show support towards the things that inspire him or her.
Furthermore, there is a remarkable distinction on their attitude towards life in general. They adapt to the approach of how you as a parent react to situations.
It will please you to know that you are their first role model as they depend mostly on you.
In conclusion, applying most of the listed strategies will not only build the child's self-esteem but will in like manner mold his character, expose him and widen his knowledge as well as his or her expectations.
Also, once a parent has been able to discover the child's learning abilities, in no time he or she begins to excel beyond expectations.
Finally, I implore you as a parent to never give up.
I hope this piece has been able to enlighten you about parenting when it comes to raising a child with ADD/ADHD. You can also share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.